Smoked Bison Meatloaf Stuffed with Mac & Cheese
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 4 hours | Total Time: 4 hours 30 minutes | Serves: 6-8
Created By: Created by Maddie & Kiki, Canada's Favourite Female Grillmasters
Bison meatloaf and mac & cheese are a perfect comfort food combo! This recipe is easy on the pocket book but gorgeous enough to be centre stage on your table. Just add your favourite veg or salad as a side and you've got a nutritious and delicious meal made in heaven!
Tap For Ingredients
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for the meatloaf. Mix thoroughly, until just combined (don’t overmix).
- Boil plenty of salted water. Cook macaroni according to package directions, until just al dente. It will continue to cook in the smoker, so make sure you don’t overcook it! Drain, and add the butter and garlic powder. Toss to melt the butter, and allow to cool. Mix in the cheese.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on top of a cutting board, or clean countertop. Spread the meat mixture out to form a large rectangle that is about 1/2 inch thick. Spread the macaroni & cheese evenly on top, leaving a one-inch section at the top bare. Using the parchment paper, carefully roll the meat away from yourself, making sure to keep it tight, and contain the macaroni and cheese – similar to rolling a sushi roll! When you get to the top, use the bare section to seal the meatloaf, and make sure that seam is on the bottom. Press in the mixture on the ends, containing the macaroni and cheese so it won’t ooze out.
- Use the parchment to lift and place the meatloaf into a grill pan, making it easier to carry to the smoker. Preheat grill or smoker to 225°F. Smoke for 4 hours, or until an internal temperature reads 165°F. After about 2 hours, brush on some BBQ sauce every now and then for a beautiful glossy exterior.
- Remove from the smoker, and allow to rest for a few minutes before slicing.
More Chef Recipes
- Peppery Bison Brie Burger with Kohlrabi & Apple Slaw – Chef Leandro Vega
- Seventh Fire Burger – Chef Rich Francis
- Surf n’ Turf Bison Burger – Chef Ben Kelly
- Wild Spicin’ Bison Burger – Maddie & Kiki
- Grilled Bison Dressing – Maddie & Kiki
- Warm Bison Steak Salad – Claudio Aprile
- Bison Steak with Truffle Fries – Top Chef Winner Erica Karbelnik
For the meatloaf mixture:
1 454g package Extra Lean Ground Bison
1/2 lb bacon, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 tbsp (7.5ml) Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup (80ml) seasoned breadcrumbs
1 tbsp (15ml) your favourite BBQ rub
For the mac and cheese filling:
1 cup (250ml) macaroni
3 tbsp (45ml) butter
1 heaping cup (250ml) shredded old cheddar cheese
1 tsp (5ml) garlic powder
For brushing: 1/2 cup 125ml) BBQ sauce
Tap For Directions