Seventh Fire Burger
| Serves: 4
Created By: Chef Rich Francis
- Fire up your grill to medium high heat
- In a small saucepan place all the blueberry jam ingredients, except the lemon, over medium high heat; bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a glaze consistency; remove herb sprigs; season with lemon juice, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Grill bacon strips until crisp; drain on a paper towel, set aside.
- In a bowl, mix all the bison meat patty ingredients together and form into 4 patties.
- Place patties on a preheated grill; 2 min per side for medium rare or slightly longer to your liking (don’t overcook as bison is lean and cooks more quickly than beef)
- Place 2 slices of brie cheese on each patty.
- Spread sriracha mayo on top half of each bannock slice.
- Add the grilled bison patty on the bottom half; top each patty with blueberry jam and bacon, shallots then arugula and cover with the top half.
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C)
- Mix dry ingredients into a big bowl. Add water or milk and add the oil. Mix all together until the batter becomes like bread dough, not sticky.
- Put flour on a table surface then roll the dough with your fists for about 2 minutes, like making a bread dough. Break into four balls and flatten in the palm of your hand to .5” (1.25 cm) thick. Make holes with a fork by poking it all around the dough from top to bottom.
- Lightly oil a cookie sheet, put the bannock onto the sheet and bake at 375 F (190 C) until it becomes golden brown, approx. 25 minutes. Spread butter or lard on the bannock when it comes out of the oven to keep it moist.
More Chef Recipes
1lb (454 g) Noble Premium Bison Lean or Extra Lean Ground
1 Tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp (45 mL) finely chopped onion or shallot
1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
1 c (500 mL) fresh blueberries
½ c (250 mL) sugar
½ c (250 mL) water
1 sprig fresh sage
3 sprig fresh thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
8 strips smoked bacon
8 slices of hand cut brie cheese
1 c (500 mL) crispy shallots
4 Tbsp (60 mL) sriracha mayo
1 c (500 mL) baby arugula
4 Bannock ‘buns’
3 c (1500 mL) all-purpose flour or mix of whole wheat and white flour
1 tsp (5 mL) of salt
1 Tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
1/2 cup (250 mL) olive oil
¾ – 1 c (375-500 mL) water or milk