Bison Sausage Rolls
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 25-30 minutes | Total Time: 40-45 minutes | Serves: 24 sausage rolls
Created By: Created by Maddie & Kiki, Canada's Favourite Female Grillmasters
- Heat butter over medium high heat. Sauté onions and garlic, along with all spices for 6-8 minutes, until fragrant. Chef Tip: frying spices in oil activates their flavour! Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine the bison, with the onion mixture, the breadcrumbs, and 1 of the eggs. Mix thoroughly. Divide the mixture in half, and form into two equal logs.
- Cut the piece of puff pastry in half, creating two equal pieces. Place each log at the large edge of each of the puff pastry rectangles. Form into a long sausage shape. Roll the puff pastry around the sausage, ending up with the edge on the bottom of the roll. Cut into 12 pieces, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with other rectangle and meat log.
- Whisk the remaining egg with the water, and brush over the tops of each sausage roll. Season with black pepper, if desired.
- Preheat grill (or oven) to 350° F. Cook sausage rolls over indirect heat (if you’re grilling) for 25-30 minutes. If desired, flip halfway through. Serve with spicy mustard, and watch them disappear!
More Chef Recipes
- Peppery Bison Brie Burger with Kohlrabi & Apple Slaw – Chef Leandro Vega
- Seventh Fire Burger – Chef Rich Francis
- Surf n’ Turf Bison Burger – Chef Ben Kelly
- Wild Spicin’ Bison Burger – Maddie & Kiki
- Grilled Bison Dressing – Maddie & Kiki
- Warm Bison Steak Salad – Claudio Aprile
- Bison Steak with Truffle Fries – Top Chef Winner Erica Karbelnik
226g (8 oz) Lean Ground Noble Premium Bison
4 tbsp (60ml) salted butter
1 small yellow onion, finely minced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tsp (5ml) fennel seeds
1 tsp (5ml) dry mustard
1/2 tsp (2.5ml) celery seed
1 tsp (5ml) dried parsley
1/2 tsp (2.5ml) salt
Black pepper to taste
1/4 cup (60ml) seasoned panko breadcrumbs
225g puff pastry (1 of the 2 rolls that come in a two-pack)
1 tbsp (15ml) water