Bison Bolognese Spaghetti Squash Rings
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes | Serves: 2-4
Created By: Created by Maddie & Kiki, Canada's Favourite Female Grillmasters
- Preheat a skillet over medium high heat. Add the avocado oil then the bison and cook until nicely browned on all sides – about 10 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, carrot, onion, celery and garlic, and cook until fragrant – about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Next stir in the red wine, beef stock, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, oregano, and bay leaf. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes, until the bison is tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven (or grill) to 400°F. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the squash into 1.5 inch thick rings. Remove the seeds and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. If grilling, put them on a plate to bring out to the grill. Spray with avocado oil spray, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for 30 minutes per side in the oven, or grill them over direct heat for 15-20 minutes per side.
- To serve, spoon the bison bolognese into the centre of the squash rings. Top with the cheese, and broil until the cheese melts. Garnish with fresh basil.
More Chef Recipes
- Peppery Bison Brie Burger with Kohlrabi & Apple Slaw – Chef Leandro Vega
- Seventh Fire Burger – Chef Rich Francis
- Surf n’ Turf Bison Burger – Chef Ben Kelly
- Wild Spicin’ Bison Burger – Maddie & Kiki
- Grilled Bison Dressing – Maddie & Kiki
- Warm Bison Steak Salad – Claudio Aprile
- Bison Steak with Truffle Fries – Top Chef Winner Erica Karbelnik
1 tbsp (15ml) avocado oil
226g (8oz) Bison Steak Cubes
2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
1 carrot, finely minced
1 small yellow onion, finely minced
2 stalks celery, finely minced
3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup (59ml) red wine
1 cup (237ml) beef stock
2 tbsp (30ml) tomato paste
398ml canned chopped tomatoes
1/4 tsp (1.25ml) dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 large spaghetti squash
1/2 cup (125ml) mozzarella cheese
Fresh basil, for garnish