Bison Barley Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes | Serves: 4
Created By: Created by Maddie & Kiki, Canada's Favourite Female Grillmasters
Noble Premium Bison and barley soup is the perfect comfort food. Full of flavour and nutrition in every bite, it's also economical to make! Start with our easy to use lean bison cubes and stretch this meal to feed the family any day of the week!
Tap For Ingredients
- In a small bowl, toss the bison cubes in the flour, ensuring it’s fully coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat large pot over medium high heat. Add the oil. Add the bison, ensuring that you don’t overcrowd the pot. Brown the bison cubes until nicely browned on all sides – about 10 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan as you stir.
- Remove the bison cubes from the pan and add the butter.
- Toss in all the vegetables, spices and bay leaf. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Deglaze with the balsamic vinegar. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Return the bison to the pot, stir and cover. Turn the heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour. Garnish with green onions.
More Chef Recipes
- Peppery Bison Brie Burger with Kohlrabi & Apple Slaw – Chef Leandro Vega
- Seventh Fire Burger – Chef Rich Francis
- Surf n’ Turf Bison Burger – Chef Ben Kelly
- Wild Spicin’ Bison Burger – Maddie & Kiki
- Grilled Bison Dressing – Maddie & Kiki
- Warm Bison Steak Salad – Claudio Aprile
- Bison Steak with Truffle Fries – Top Chef Winner Erica Karbelnik
1 tbsp (15ml) avocado oil
1 8oz (226g) package Noble Premium Bison Steak Cubes
3 tbsp (45ml) flour
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp (30ml) butter
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
3 carrots, scrubbed and finely chopped
3 ribs celery, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 tsp (2.5ml) dried thyme
1/2 tsp (2.5ml) dried rosemary
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp (15ml) balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp (15ml) soy sauce
2 cups (500ml) low sodium beef stock
1 328ml can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup (125ml) pot barley
Thinly sliced green onions, for garnish
Tap For Directions