Bison Flank Rouladen
- Light a hot fire in a grill or preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Lay the bison flank on a work surface with a short edge facing you. Press one hand flat on the meat to steady it. Using a long, sharp knife, make a horizontal cut in a long side of the steak to within 1/2 inch of the opposite edge. Open the flank steak like a book.
- Cover the cut side of the steak with the prosciutto slices, then top with a layer of arugula or spinach leaves. Place the chopped peppers on top and sprinkle with parmesan and 1 Tbsp oil.
- Starting with the side facing you, tightly roll up the flank around the filling. Using kitchen string, tie the roll in 4 or 5 places.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the salt, garlic and pepper. Rub this mixture all over the rolled steak.
- Bank the coals to one side of the grill or turn off one side of the grill. Grill the rouladen over high heat until browned all over, 8 to 10 minutes; turning 4 times as it cooks. Move the meat away from the direct heat and grill for 15 to 20 minutes, or until an instant thermometer registers 135°F (57°C) for medium rare.
- Transfer the roulade to a carving board, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Discard the strings and slice crosswise 1/2 inch thick. Serve.
1 Noble Premium Bison flank (14-20 oz)
6 slices good quality prosciutto
1 red bell pepper, roasted and skins removed
3 Tbsp (45 ml) fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 cup (250 ml) fresh arugula or spinach
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
2 tsp (10 ml) kosher salt
2 tsp (10 ml) minced garlic
1 tsp (5 ml) freshly ground pepper