Spiced Bison Ribeye with Miso Butter and Red Wine Mushroom Sauce
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 30 min | Total Time: 1 hr (+1 hr 10 min standing time) | Serves: 4
Created By: Amy Reiley
- Miso Butter: Mix together butter and miso until blended. In large piece of plastic wrap, shape miso butter into log shape with rubber spatula. Roll up tightly in plastic wrap, twisting ends of plastic wrap to seal. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or freeze for about 15 minutes until firm. (Can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 1 month.)
- Bison Ribeye with Red Wine Mushroom Sauce: Pat steaks dry with paper towel. Season all over with crushed peppercorns, dried mushrooms and salt.
- Heat oil and 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter in large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook steaks for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until cooked as desired. Transfer to plate; let stand for 10 minutes. Keep warm.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to same pan; cook over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth and red wine; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced and thickened slightly. Stir in remaining butter.
- Slice steak; dot with pat of Miso Butter and spoon red wine mushroom sauce over top.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
Bison Ribeye with Red Wine Mushroom Sauce:
- 4 Noble Premium Bison Ribeye steaks
- 4 tsp (20 mL) crushed black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) crushed dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) crushed dried morel mushrooms
- 1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, divided
- 1/2 lb (250 g) mixed sliced mushrooms (such as cremini, oysters, shiitake, morels and/or chanterelles)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced beef broth
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) dry red wine
- Use a mortar and pestle, or spice grinder, to crush peppercorns and dried mushrooms.
- Serve with a side of roasted asparagus spears and creamy mashed potatoes if desired.
- For roasted asparagus: Trim woody ends of asparagus. Toss with 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and pepper. Roast in 425°F (220°C) oven on parchment paper–lined baking sheet for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden and tender.
- For creamy mashed potatoes: Boil 2 lb (1 kg) peeled and chopped Yukon Gold potatoes with 2 cloves of garlic in boiling salted water for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well; mash with 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm 35% whipping cream, 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter and a pinch of salt, pepper and ground nutmeg until smooth. Garnish with 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives.
- Garnish steak with finely chopped chives or thyme if desired.
- Use a good-quality beef broth or stock.