Bison & Brie Mini Pies
Total Time: 1 hr | Serves: 4
Created By: Chef Leanna Robberecht
Impress everyone with these ‘two-bite’ Bison & Brie Mini Pies! They may be small, but we guarantee you won’t be able to eat just one! This recipe celebrates the products of four Alberta companies—Noble Premium Bison, Chinook Honey, Village Brewery, and Lambtastic Farms—all products featured at Best of Calgary Foods, a delivery service that brings fresh, artisanal, and local foods to your Calgary door.
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C)and lightly spray three mini muffin pans
- In a food processor blend flour, salt and butter and combine until it looks like little peas
- Add in the water and blend just until it looks like it is sticking
- Take the dough out of the food processor and combine it by hand until well-blended
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until about 1/8inch thick
- Cut into 36-inch circles (or the size of your muffin pans)
- Press each circle until the dough covers all the way up each side of the muffin tin to form little dough bowls
- Mix all the listed ingredients together in a bowl
- With a 1 oz scoop, place the mixture into the centre of each dough bowl
- Place the mini muffin pans onto a sheet pan (in case the cheese bubbles over)
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 16-18 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool
- When cool, loosen with a spoon and top with caramelized onions.
- In a heated pan add canola oil, then onions and cook until the onions start to brown.
- Add the roasted garlic and Chinook Honey, being careful not to burn the onions.
- When the onions are dark golden brown, add the Village Blacksmith Ale and turn up the heat to high; once at a boil, turn down to simmer.
- Allow the mixture to reduce until the liquid is almost gone.
- Remove from heat and use on top of each mini pie.
- 2 cups (255 g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (150 g) chilled butter
- 1 tsp (5 g) salt
- 4 tbsp (60 g) water
- 2 cups (400 g) Noble Premium Bison Lean Ground
- 1 cup (200 g) Lambtastic Farms Ground Lamb
- 2 tbsp (30 g) onion powder
- 2 tbsp (30 g) roasted garlic purée
- 2 tbsp (30 g) brown sugar
- 1tsp (5 g) grainy mustard
- 1tsp (5 g) Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp (5 g) finely chopped fresh (or dry) rosemary
- 3 fresh sage leaves finely chopped or ¼ tsp (2 g) dry sage
- 2 tbsp (30 g) smoked paprika
- 1 grated Brie wheel (175 g)*
- 1 tsp (5 g) Chinook Honey
*Grate the Brie when cold with the largest side of the grater
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 can Village Brewery Blacksmith Ale
- 2 tbsp (30 g) Chinook Honey
- 1 tbsp (15 g) roasted garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 g) canola oil