Grilled Bison Tourtiére
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 1 hr 10 minutes | Serves: 1 pie
Created By: Maddie & Kiki, Canada's Favourite Female Grillmasters
Always wanted to try this Canadian classic? Tourtiére is a French Canadian meat pie dish originating from Quebec. Usually made with minced pork, veal or beef, we're making our with bison! Traditionally served on Christmas Eve, you can enjoy bison tourtiére any time of the year!
Tap For Ingredients
- Boil potatoes until fork tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Reserve about 1/4 cup of the potato water, before draining and mashing potatoes. Set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add oil and butter. Sauté onions for 3-4 minutes, add garlic, and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add bison, and all spices. Cook until nicely browned, about 10-12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sherry and Worcestershire and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat, and stir in potato water and mashed potato.
- Spoon into pie shell, and place second shell on top, pinching the edges. Brush with egg wash. Cut a few slits for moisture to escape.
- Preheat grill to 400°F/200°C. Grill pie over indirect heat for 30-40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
More Chef Recipes
- Peppery Bison Brie Burger with Kohlrabi & Apple Slaw – Chef Leandro Vega
- Seventh Fire Burger – Chef Rich Francis
- Surf n’ Turf Bison Burger – Chef Ben Kelly
- Wild Spicin’ Bison Burger – Maddie & Kiki
- Grilled Bison Dressing – Maddie & Kiki
- Warm Bison Steak Salad – Claudio Aprile
- Bison Steak with Truffle Fries – Top Chef Winner Erica Karbelnik
- Jamaican Bison Stew
2 deep-dish pie shells
Bison Meat Filling:
1.5 lbs (680g) Noble Premium Extra Lean Ground Bison
2 large yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
2 tbsp (30ml) butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tbsp (15ml) BBQ rub of your choice
1/4 tsp (1ml) ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp (1ml) ground cloves
1/8 tsp (0.5ml) nutmeg
1 tbsp (15ml) fresh thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp (15ml) Worcestershire sauce
1 egg, whisked with 1 tbsp water
1/4 cup (60ml) Sherry cooking wine
Tap For Directions