Grilled Bison Tourtiére
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 1 hr 10 minutes | Serves: 1 pie
Created By: Maddie & Kiki, Canada's Favourite Female Grillmasters
- Boil potatoes until fork tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Reserve about 1/4 cup of the potato water, before draining and mashing potatoes. Set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add oil and butter. Sauté onions for 3-4 minutes, add garlic, and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add bison, and all spices. Cook until nicely browned, about 10-12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sherry and Worcestershire and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat, and stir in potato water and mashed potato.
- Spoon into pie shell, and place second shell on top, pinching the edges. Brush with egg wash. Cut a few slits for moisture to escape.
- Preheat grill to 400°F/200°C. Grill pie over indirect heat for 30-40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
More Chef Recipes
- Peppery Bison Brie Burger with Kohlrabi & Apple Slaw – Chef Leandro Vega
- Seventh Fire Burger – Chef Rich Francis
- Surf n’ Turf Bison Burger – Chef Ben Kelly
- Wild Spicin’ Bison Burger – Maddie & Kiki
- Grilled Bison Dressing – Maddie & Kiki
- Warm Bison Steak Salad – Claudio Aprile
- Bison Steak with Truffle Fries – Top Chef Winner Erica Karbelnik
- Jamaican Bison Stew
2 deep-dish pie shells
Bison Meat Filling:
1.5 lbs (680g) Noble Premium Extra Lean Ground Bison
2 large yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
2 tbsp (30ml) butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tbsp (15ml) BBQ rub of your choice
1/4 tsp (1ml) ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp (1ml) ground cloves
1/8 tsp (0.5ml) nutmeg
1 tbsp (15ml) fresh thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp (15ml) Worcestershire sauce
1 egg, whisked with 1 tbsp water
1/4 cup (60ml) Sherry cooking wine