Gingered Bison Steak Cubes
Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 45 min | Total Time: 1 hr | Serves: 2 portions (or as an appetizer for 4)
In sauce pot, mix all ginger sauce ingredients together, except cornstarch. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for 1 hour (while sauce is simmering prep the bison). After sauce is complete, remove star anise and orange, and adjust flavours as desired. Thicken sauce slightly with cornstarch in blender.
Mix all ingredients together and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
- 1 package Noble Premium Steak Cubes (8oz /226 g)
- 1 tbsp (15mL) ground Chinese 5 spice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ground onion powder
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ground garlic powder
- 1 tsp (4 mL) baking soda
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soya sauce
- 1 c (240 mL) cornstarch + ½ c (120 mL) flour
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp (15 mL) cold water
- Mix cornstarch and flour together
- In separate bowl mix egg with 1 tbsp cold water
- Coat bison with cornstarch and flour mixture, then add bison to egg mixture and evenly coat.
- Return bison to the cornstarch and flour mixture
Fill a skillet with 1 inch of oil. Heat over medium until simmering; test a small piece of coated bison to ensure the oil is hot enough. Add the coated bison pieces in batches, being careful not to crowd the pan. Fry until golden brown, turning once (3-5 minutes approx). Remove onto a paper towel, lightly season with salt. Alternatively, if you have a home fryer you can use as per instructions. Heat ginger sauce, toss and stir in fried bison then assemble onto a serving dish.
Suggested garnish: sautéed julienne sweet peppers, onions. Serve over rice or a green salad.
Ginger Sauce Ingredients
- 2 ½ c (600 mL) water
- 1 whole orange sliced
- ¼ c (60 mL) grated fresh ginger
- ¼ c ( 60 mL) roasted garlic
- 2c (480 mL) dark brown sugar
- ¼ c (60 mL) molasses
- ¼ c (60 mL) soya sauce
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed
- ½ onion
- 2 green onion
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Sambal Oelek
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) white vinegar
- 3 tbsp (90 mL) cornstarch