Prep Time: 25 min | Cook Time: 30 min | Total Time: 55 min (+ marinating time) | Serves: 4
Noble Premium Bison steaks are marinated in coffee and spices for a bison and refried bean tostada that is jam-packed with tasty flavours.
Tap For Ingredients
- Coffee Marinated Steaks: In shallow dish, stir together coffee, oil, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper; add steaks, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Quick Pickled Red Onions: Place red onion slices in medium-size Mason jar. In small saucepan set over high heat, combine vinegar, salt and sugar; bring to boil. Pour over red onion slices; let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes or until pickled. Refrigerate; drain well before serving.
- Refried Beans: Heat oil in skillet set over medium heat; cook bacon for 3 to 5 minutesor until crispy around edges. Stir in garlic, cumin and oregano; cook for 1 minute. Stir in beans; cook for 2 to 3 minutesor until well coated. Stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) water; cook for about 5 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates and beans are heated through. Mash with potato masher.
- Tostadas: Pour enough oil into large skillet to come 1/2 inch (1 cm) up side; heat over medium-heat. Working in 4 batches, fry tortillas for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp; drain on paper towel–lined baking sheet.
- Lime Crema: Stir together sour cream, lime juice and salt until well combined.
- Just before serving, preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well. Remove steaks from marinade, shaking off any excess. Discard marinade. Grill steaks for 4 to 5 minutes per sidefor medium-rare or until cooked as desired. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Top each tostada with refried beans, avocado, steak, jalapeño and pickled red onions. Drizzle with crema. Sprinkle queso fresco (or feta) and cilantro over top. Serve with lime wedges.
- Add shredded cabbage or lettuce to tostadas if desired.
Coffee Marinated Steaks:
- 1 cup (250 mL) strong brewed coffee, cold
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 Noble Premium Bison Inside Round or Top Sirloin Steaks (2 lb/908 g)
Quick Pickled Red Onions:
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1 can (398 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Canola oil, for frying
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) crumbled queso fresco, or feta
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 4 lime wedges, for serving
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
Tap For Directions