Bison & Orecchiette Primavera
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 15-18 minutes | Total Time: 30-33 minutes | Serves: 2-4
Created By: Created by Maddie & Kiki, Canada's Favourite Female Grillmasters
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat. Add the avocado oil, and allow to heat for 2-3 minutes before adding the bison.
- Add the Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the bison to brown, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes. Do not rush this step – those little brown bits clinging to the bottom of the skillet will add a tremendous amount of flavour to the sauce!
- Stir in the butter and onions. Cook until the onions are translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until the sauce thickens, another 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, more cheese and enjoy this springtime delight!
If you cannot find fiddleheads locally, substitute fresh asparagus.
If you cannot find morel mushrooms locally, substitute cremini mushrooms.
More Chef Recipes
- Peppery Bison Brie Burger with Kohlrabi & Apple Slaw – Chef Leandro Vega
- Seventh Fire Burger – Chef Rich Francis
- Surf n’ Turf Bison Burger – Chef Ben Kelly
- Wild Spicin’ Bison Burger – Maddie & Kiki
- Grilled Bison Dressing – Maddie & Kiki
- Warm Bison Steak Salad – Claudio Aprile
- Bison Steak with Truffle Fries – Top Chef Winner Erica Karbelnik
1 tbsp (15ml) avocado oil
226g (8oz) Lean or Extra Lean Ground Noble Premium Bison
2 tsp (10ml) Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
4 tbsp (60ml) butter
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
3/4 cup (190ml) fresh fiddleheads*
1 cup (250ml) fresh morel mushrooms, sliced*
1 1/2 cups (375ml) mixed fresh baby greens (we used kale, swiss chard and pea shoots)
1 cup (250ml) peas
Zest and juice of one lemon
1/2 cup (125ml) Parmesan cheese
2 cups (500ml) orecchiette, cooked according to package directions (and reserving 1 cup of pasta water)
1/4 cup (60ml) fresh parsley, chopped