Prep Time: 40 min | Cook Time: 25-35 minutes | Total Time: 65-75 minutes | Serves: 36 empanadas
Need some inspiration for your next get-together? These bison empanadas are so delicious and well worth the effort! They're also easy to freeze, so you can satisfy your empanada craving anytime!
Tap For Ingredients
- Heat 30 mL/2 T. oil in a large pot over high.
- Cook bison, breaking up with a spoon, until browned but not completely cooked through, 6–8 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl with a slotted spoon, leaving as much fat in pan as possible
- Reduce heat to medium and cook onions and remaining 15 mL/1 T. oil, stirring until tender but not browned, 6–8 minutes; season with salt and black pepper.
- Add cumin, paprika, oregano, and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chicken stock and reserved bison along with any accumulated juices to pot.
- Stir in sugar, 20 mL/4 tsp. salt and a little black pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, until most of the liquid is evaporated, 15–20 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper, if needed. Stir in raisins. Transfer to a medium bowl, cover, and chill at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C; let dough sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Remove 6 rounds from package, keeping plastic divider underneath, and arrange on a work surface. Place 2 Tbsp. filling in the center of each round. Brush water around half of outer edge of each round.
- Using plastic divider to help you, fold round over filling and pinch edges to seal. Using a fork, crimp edges. Remove plastic and transfer empanada to a parchment-lined sheet tray, spacing 1″ apart. Repeat with remaining rounds (you’ll get about 12 empanadas on each tray).
- Bake empanadas, rotating tray halfway through, until golden brown and slightly darker around the edges, 25–35 minutes.
4 x 226 g Noble Premium Ground Bison (2 lbs)
3 T extra-virgin olive oil, divided (45 mL)
2 medium onions, chopped
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
3 T ground cumin (45 mL)
2 T sweet paprika (30 mL)
1 T dried oregano (15 mL)
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (1 mL)
1½ cups low-sodium chicken stock (192 gr)
2 tsp sugar (10 mL)
½ cup raisins (32 gr)
3 packages (12 each) Puff Pastry Dough for Turnovers/Empanadas
Do Ahead: Filling can be made 3 days ahead. Keep chilled. Unbaked empanadas can be made 3 months ahead; freeze on sheet tray, then transfer to freezer bags and keep frozen.
Tap For Directions