Bison Carnitas Tacos
Prep Time: 25 min | Cook Time: 2-8 hours slow cook | Total Time: Dependant on slow cooker | Serves: 4
Created By: Diana Rattray
Noble Premium Bison Steak Cubes are slow cooked with beer, pineapple juice and spices for carnitas tacos that deliver delicious flavours in every bite.
Tap For Ingredients
- Microwave ancho chili for 30 to 60 seconds or until toasted and fragrant. Remove seeds.
- In slow cooker, combine beer, pineapple juice, orange juice, lime juice, onion, garlic, tomato paste, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, pepper, cumin and oregano. Stir in bison, toasted ancho chili and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or High for 3 to 4 hours or until very tender. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Transfer bison to large bowl; let rest for 10 minutes. Using two forks, shred bison and toss with some of the cooking juices. Cover and set aside until ready to serve.
- Pickled Red Onions: Place red onion slices in medium-size Mason jar; set aside. In small saucepan, combine vinegar, 1/4 cup (60 mL) water, salt and sugar; bring to boil. Pour over red onion slices; let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes or until pickled.
- Serve pulled bison, pickled red onions, avocado, radishes, queso fresco and cilantro in warm tortillas. Serve with hot sauce.
- A lager is perfect with this recipe.
- 1 dried ancho chili pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) beer
- 1 cup (250 mL) pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) orange juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lime juice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 3 pkgs – 1 1/2 lb (700 g) Noble Premium Bison Steak Cubes
- 2 bay leaves
Pickled Red Onions:
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and granulated sugar
- 12 small corn tortillas, warmed (5 inch/13 cm)
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely crumbled queso fresco
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) hot sauce
Tap For Directions