Bison and Beer Chili
Prep Time: 25 min | Cook Time: 1 hour | Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes | Serves: 4 - 6
Created By: Created by Maddie & Kiki, Canada's Favourite Female Grillmasters
How to make a bowl of chili even better? Make it with lean or extra lean ground bison! Bison is so nutrient-dense and tastes sweet and rich - the perfect addition to your chili pot.
Tap For Ingredients
- Heat a dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Warm olive oil, add bison and cook until browned – about 10 minutes.
- Add onion, peppers, garlic, and spices. Allow to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add the beer and cook for another 5 minutes. Then add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on a preheated grill 190°-200°C (375°- 400°F) on indirect heat, or in the oven, for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Remove lid and reduce to desired consistency. Discard bay leaves and serve with your favourite toppings.
Optional toppings: sour cream, cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese.
More Chef Recipes
- Peppery Bison Brie Burger with Kohlrabi & Apple Slaw – Chef Leandro Vega
- Seventh Fire Burger – Chef Rich Francis
- Surf n’ Turf Bison Burger – Chef Ben Kelly
- Wild Spicin’ Bison Burger – Maddie & Kiki
- Grilled Bison Dressing – Maddie & Kiki
- Warm Bison Steak Salad – Claudio Aprile
- Bison Steak with Truffle Fries – Top Chef Winner Erica Karbelnik
2 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
2 x 226g package Lead Ground Noble Premium Bison
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 jalapeño, finely minced (optional)
1 tsp (5ml) cumin
1 tsp (5ml) smoked paprika
1 tsp (5ml) chili powder
2 tsp (10ml) BBQ rub
2 bay leaves
1 bottle of your favourite beer
1 540 ml (9oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 796 ml (28oz) can of crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp (15ml) tomato paste
1/2 cup (125ml) frozen corn
1/4 cup (60ml) BBQ sauce
2 tsp (5ml) Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Tap For Directions